McGregor has already expressed his desire to lure the undefeated (49-0) Floyd Mayweather out of retirement for $100 million and speculation of the potential bout grew last week when the Irish UFC champion obtained his boxing licence.
In a video posted on his Twitter account, Malignaggi said: “I have been hearing a lot about this Conor McGregor situation and I got to thinking — you know what? — I am kind of interested.
“At first I was telling Conor to stay in his lane and I was thinking you are going to embarrass yourself, but if you are really going to disrespect the sport of boxing like that then I would like to be the one to teach you that lesson.”
It is expected that McGregor will take some time out of MMA competition to focus on the birth of his first child in May after he made history at UFC 205 in New York last month when he became the first fighter to simultaneously hold title belts in two weight divisions.
However, last week the UFC stripped him of his featherweight belt, which he had not defended in 11 months. With Interim champion Jose Aldo moved up to outright champ, McGregor finally broke his silence Friday by denying he had relinquished the belt and saying that “someone’s got to come take that off me.”
Though McGregor is still under contract, his agent Audie Attar previously told ESPN’s Five Rounds podcast the 28-year-old’s camp would be “very interested” in a Mayweather fight “if it is serious.”
The former IBF junior welterweight and WBA welterweight champion Malignaggi continued: “I would never disrespect your sport and tell everybody I could beat the best fighter in the cage.
“You shouldn’t come to our sport and tell everybody you could beat the best fighter in our sport in a ring.
“I know you apologize about absolutely f—— nothing, but after I am done with you — I am going to knock the beard off you homie — you are going to be apologizing for everything you have been trying to do to get in the boxing ring.”